5/27/2009

Why Mr. B-Girl? Mr. B-Girlの由来



About the album “Mr. B-Girl”

“Due to your support and encouragement, I have been able to release my first official mix CD in 2009 titled “Mr. B-Girl.” Some of you might be thinking, what exactly does that even mean? There are a few different points to explain why such a contradictory and controversial title was chosen.

Ever since I was introduced to the most unpretentious form of art called Hip Hop, I was taught how significant it is to be myself. Despite this idea, Hip Hop revealed itself to be a male-dominated world, and society to this day expects women and men to act a certain way; this ideas is even more so in Japan.


After starting my career as a DJ, I noticed quickly that my Japanese audience was so surprised whenever they discovered that the DJ who was playing the deep, underground music was a female, or when they saw a female DJ scratching the records more than they “should.” I have also received a lot of feedback saying that they can’t believe a “girl” was able to make this track, or that I am pretty talented with my craft “although I am a girl.”


For those who think that this stereotype is the norm might think that DJ SARASA is perhaps just a “guy-ish” B-Girl, when they hear the title of this new CD. However, I have intentionally combined the contrary “Mr.” and “B-Girl” to let everyone know that it really doesn’t matter what gender you are; it’s bigger than that.


I personally think that stereotyping makes no sense at all, especially when it comes to DJing. It’s really not about the physical difference that makes a good DJ. It is truly about which DJ’s got the best groove, taste and the ambition for digging more to expose fans to doper music. I would rather be judged by my skills and knowledge as one DJ, and not as a female DJ, similar to what Martin Luther King said how he has a dream of his children to be judged “…by the content of their character.”


After all, if Hip Hop is about Peace, Love and Unity, the sexual difference shouldn’t even come into play in the first place, right?


Last but not least, if you have checked out my CD, thank you so much for using your precious time to listen to my CD. Seriously, you could have been doing anything else in the world, so I really appreciate you taking the time to vibe to my release. This selection of music was chosen by me and it reflects the real Hip Hop that I grew up listening to and believing in! Make sure you check out the tracks I produced: “One Time” and ”Bullet Train” feat. Elzhi, Masia One & Cymarshall Law”.

I Hope you enjoy it, and check me out on my website www.djsarasa.com

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

アルバムコンセプトについて

今回アルバムに「Mr. B-Girl」と、あえて論議を呼ぶようなタイトルをつけたのには、さまざまな理由とメッセージが込められているからです。

この骨太な選曲を聴いた多くの人から、「とても女の子が作ったCDだとは思えない」と言うお言葉を頂きました。実は、私のDJパフォーマンスを観てくださったメディアの方やオーディエンスの方々にも、DJパフォーマンス自体が男らしいと言われる事がしばしあります。

私はヒップホップに出逢えてから、媚を売らず、ありのままの自分を受け入れる事の素晴らしさを知り、その後、自己表現が強いカナダの大学に進学してから、世間が言う「男らしさ」や「女らしさ」について疑問を持つようになりました。
「社会」とは人々にとって何の根拠があって男/女らしさを求めているのだろうかと。「男の子なんだから泣かないの」とか、「女の子だから失敗しても何とかなるよ」と良く聞きますが、本当にそうなのでしょうか?それとも昔からそう伝えられてきた為、一般的には当たり前に受け入れられているものなのでしょうか?時代は変わり、昔よりはそういった固定観念は薄れてきているのでしょうが、そのような考えが若い人々の間でも未だに存在するのは確かです。
  
この一般論がスタンダードであると思っている人は、「Mr. B-Girl」と言うタイトルを耳にして、単にDJ SARASAは「男っぽい」DJなのか、と捉えられるかもしれませんが、私の心奥深くでは、男性に使う「Mr.」という敬称と「B-Girl」女性名詞と言う矛盾した用語を一つにする事によって、フィーメールDJだろうとメールDJだろうと、関係ない事をあえて分かりやすく表現してみたつもりです。

選曲とミックス、そしてオリジナルトラックも先ほど言った社会の固定概念に囚われず、「自分らしさ」を重視して表現してみました。King 牧師が“I Have a Dream…”で始まる有名なスピーチで、「私には夢がある。私の四人の幼い子ども達が、いつの日か肌の色ではなく人格そのものによって評価される国に住めるようになるという夢が。」と言ったように、私も外見や性別ではなく、いち(・・)DJとして、スキルや音楽の知識そのものを評価してもらいたい、そう思っています。

そして最後になりましたが、私のCDをチェックしてくださったかた!人生限られている貴重な時間の中、そんな私のCDを聴いてると言う選択をしてくださり、本当にありがたく思っています!私が音楽を続けられるのも、活動を支えてくださっているあなたがいるおかげです!このCDを手に取ったあなたは、かなりのツウです(笑)!是非楽しんでください。今後とも応援宜しくお願い致します!

PEACE OUT!

DJ SARASA a.k.a. Silverboombox
www.djsarasa.com

OFFICIAL mixCD "Mr.B-Girl" on sale in stores May 13.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/Mr-B-Girl-DJ-SARASA-k-Silverboombox/dp/B001TD5E1C

2 comments: